1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup diced carrot
2 celery stalks, diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups 1% milk
12 ounces Miller 64
8 ounces 50% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Toasted whole-wheat bread
Garnish: additional shredded 50% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high.
2. Add 1/2 yellow onion, diced, and 1 minced garlic clove; sauté 3 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium; add 1 cup diced carrots and 2 celery stalks, diced. Sauté 5–7 minutes or until soft.
4. Sprinkle in 1/3 cup all-purpose flour; stir.
5. Add 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth; stir.
6. Add 2 cups 1% milk and 12 ounces pale ale (like Bass).
7. Cook 5–7 minutes or until foam disappears and soup thickens.
8. Stir in 8 ounces 50% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded.
9. Simmer 15–20 minutes; serve with toasted whole-wheat bread and a garnish of Cheddar.
Per Serving: 277 calories; fat 9g; saturated fat 5g; mono fat 2g; poly fat 1g; cholesterol 24mg; protein 19g; carbohydrates 26g; sugars 7g; fiber 2g; iron 1g; sodium 402mg; calcium 403mg.