For the tortillas:
- 2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup room temperature Coors Light
For the Guacamole:
- 2 large avocados
- juice from one lime
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (plus additional for tacos)
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped (plus additional for tacos)
For the fish:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pale ale
- Oil for frying
- 1 pound cod, cut into 3 inch strips
Make the tortillas:
- In a large bowl, add the masa and the salt, stir to combine.
- Add the beer and stir to combine. If the dough is too dry to hold together, add additional beer or water. If it is too wet, add more Masa.It should be the consistency of soft Play-Doh)
- Form into balls a bit larger than golf balls.
- Prepare a tortillas press by wrapping in plastic wrap or covering with parchment paper (you can place tortilla ball between two sheets of parchment and use a rolling pin). Place one ball in the center.
- Press, rotate and press again until thin.
- Heat a griddle (or cast iron skillet) to a medium high heat (about 350 for electric griddles).
- Cook until slightly brown on the bottom (about 30 seconds to a minute) flip and cook on the other side. Don’t overcook.
Make the guacamole:
- Add the flesh of the avocado, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder and salt to a bowl, smash until well combined. Stir in the pomegranate seeds, cilantro and red onions.
Make the fish:
- In a medium bowl add the flour and salt. Make a well in the center, add the egg and beer. Stir with a fork until just combined.
- Heat about 2 to 3inches of oil in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to 350 degrees using a deep fry thermometer, adjust heat to maintain that temperature.
- One at a time dip the fish strips into the batter until well coated. Add to the oil, fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Fill the tortillas with fish, guacamole and sprinkle with onions and cilantro.