- 2 to 3 sweet onions (vidalia onions are best)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose season salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup beer (I used lager)
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- fine sea salt
- ketchup or fry, sauce for serving
- Trim off the ends of your onions and slice 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Then separate the rings.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together the flour, season salt, baking soda and black pepper.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk the egg with 1 cup of beer.
- In a third, separate bowl add the plain breadcrumbs.
FOR THE LIGHTLY BATTERED ONION RINGS:
- Dip the onion rings into the seasoned flour. Then, working in batches, transfer a few to the beer mixture and toss to coat. Then dip the onion rings the plain breadcrumbs. T
- hen spritz with olive oil spray. Preheat your air fryer to 360º and fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until crispy.
- Working in batches, add the prepared onions into your air-fryer basket in an even layer. And cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
FOR THE EXTRA CRISPY BATTERED ONION RINGS:
- Dip the onion rings into the seasoned flour. Then, working in batches, transfer a few to the beer mixture and toss to coat.
- Then transfer the onion rings back to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Dip the onion rings back in the beer mixture before transferring to the bread crumbs.
- Preheat you air fryer to 360° and air fry for 6 to 8 minutes or until crispy.